YOUR-AD-HERE
HOSTING
TOOLS

Locked How To Compile From Source Code | Absolute Noob Spoonfeed

karthy

Well if you are into hacking then you will be using a lot of open source tools to do your hacking. Well most of the time You would install the program using your package manager sometimes you will have to get your hands dirty and compile from source. I am just going to teach you that.

Lets take a sample program it can be anything I am going to use CMSeeK it is a web vulnerability scanner.

Use The Source Luke 

The fist thing you need to do is download the source tar ball if you are using GitHub or gitlab you need to click on the releases option and download the source tarball.Typically, open source software is available in both a work-in-progress ("current" or "nightly") form as well as a packaged "stable" release version. you would want the stable version

Unarchive the source code

Usually the source code is available in a compressed format because there are many files in it. you will need to uncompress the files, you would do it using the following command.

This is the hidden content, please

here its CMSeeK but it will be different for you, Once you've unarchived it, change the directory into the extracted directory and have a look around. There's usually a README file at the top level of the directory. This file, ideally, contains guidance on what you need to do to compile the code. The README often contains information on these important aspects of the code.CMSeeK's maintainers link to online instructions to describe how to compile the code. This document also describes what other software you need to have installed, although it doesn't exactly spell it out

Compile the code

The important steps on how to compile a program is as follows

Those are the steps for projects built with Autotools, which is a framework created to standardize how source code is delivered. Other frameworks (such as Cmake) exist, however, and they require different steps. When projects stray from Autotools or Cmake, they tend to warn you in the README file.

Configure

CMSeek uses Autotools, so it's time to compile code!

In the CMSeek directory, first, run the configuration script included with the source

This step scans your system to find the dependencies that CMSeeK requires to build correctly. Some dependencies are so basic that your computer wouldn't be running without them, while others are specialized. At the end of the process, the script gives you a report on what it has found.

Make

Once everything's configured, run the make command:

This usually takes a while, but it provides lots of visual feedback, so you'll know code is getting compiled.

Install 

The final step is to install the code you've just compiled. There's nothing magical about installing code. All that happens is that lots of files get copied to very specific directories. That's true whether you're compiling from source code or running a fancy graphical install wizard. Because the code is getting copied to system-level directories, you must have root (administrative) privileges, which get granted by the sudo command.

Run the application

Once the application gets installed, you can run it. According to the CMSeeK documentation, the command to start the Application is cmseek, so try it out:

sorry I will edit the post later with pictures feeling a bit lazy right now.

I Hope you learned something.

Thanks for reading my tutorial. if you have any question please reply to this post and I will reply asap.